Tuesday, September 14, 2010

Heading back "home" soon

I don't know if many of you know this but I'm originally Lebanese. So Lebanon is considered home, although I only visit once a year during the summer. I'll be honest. I don't know my own country very well, and as a child you don't really consider the value of something like that. I'm twenty-two now, and I feel like its more important than ever to understand for myself where I come from, what history my beautiful, albeit small, country holds.

As a result, I'm planning a trip around Lebanon in the 3 weeks I'll be there from mid September to mid October. I KNOW Lebanon has a million and one things to offer, from great nightlife, to beautiful beaches, huge mountains, high waterfalls, amazing cuisine and of course the people. I was once told it was the only place you could go to the beach and ski in the same day. I wonder if you really can. Anyone done it before?

Well anyways, here is what I plan on doing and seeing. Hopefully.

Jeita Grotto Caves:

I think this should be one of the seven wonders of the world. What a beautiful place. Famous for its stalagmites and stalactites, this cave is approximately 7000 meters deep. Of course I visited as a child, but its definitely got to be a different experience as an adult. More info on them here.








































The Arz (Lebanon's large Cedar forest)

The Cedar tree is our national symbol, of course famously seen at the centre of our flag. I visited these forests as a child, however their meaning and beauty was lost on me at the time. The site is more commonly known as the Cedars of God, an explanation for the name can be found here. These are some of the oldest trees in Lebanon, dating back to the Ottoman Empire. Also within the area is The Awali river.












Affqa River: The place where Adonis died

My father is from a small town in the mountains called "Lesa" (pronounced Lah - sah), which is a beautiful city in central Lebanon.  Nearby is Afqa, six kilometers from the ancient city of Jebail which still stands just east of the town of Qartaba (where one of my best friends is from).  Here in Afqa is one of the most beautiful waterfalls, which feeds into the River Adonis (known today as Nahr Ibrahim or "Abraham's river").
The legend (from Greek mythology) behind this waterfall is that Adnois was born and died at this river.  Cinyras, the King of Cyprus seduced his daughter Myrrha to Apheca (Affqa), who turned into a tree.  This tree split open and Adonis emerged from it.  He was raised by Aphrodite, who fell in love with him.  Her lover Ares grew jealous, and sent a boar to kill Adonis.  At the pool at the foot of the falls of Afqa, Adonis bled to death from a fatal wound.  Aphrodite was so much despair that the gods granted Adonis permission to rise from Hades each year. 

Each spring at Afqa, the melting snows flood the river, bringing a reddish mud into the stream from the steep mountain slopes.  The red stain can be seen feeding into the river and far out to the Mediterranean Sea.  Legend held this to be the blood of Adonis, renewed each year, at the time of his death.

These are just a few of the places I'm dying to visit.  Check back for another post on the beautiful Lebanon!


 













No comments:

Post a Comment